The crane will be used for essential maintenance and workshop tasks in the new Kalgoorlie, WA facility, including lifting mining machinery components such as gearboxes and engines for a range of underground and surface mining machinery, such as loaders and drills.
"The commissioning of the new crane, which included runway installation, went so smoothly and self-sufficiently that I could devote my time elsewhere, whilst receiving regular updates on the progress of the new crane," Hoffie Van Huyssteen, Sandvik customer service centre manager - Kalgoorlie. said.
"For such an operation to run this smoothly is a huge credit to Claudia Estrada [Konecranes project manager - industrial cranes] and her team in the Perth office. Additionally, the support from the local Konecranes Kalgoorlie branch exceeded our expectations."
The new Konecranes CXT crane is part of Sandvik's permanent new Kalgoorlie facility. It was installed with a load display and radio remote control features to further enhance its safety and usability across a diverse range of lifting tasks.
"The remote control feature isn't unique in the market - but we were immediately attracted to the simplicity of Konecranes' version. The fact that it's not overly complicated means that our technicians can learn how to use it faster, and it helps improve the safety, too," Van Huyssteen said.
"With Konecranes products - safety is built into the design. The load display not only shows the user what load is being lifted, but it will prevent the lift from operating if it's over the maximum limit. For us, these features are vitally important to maintaining our safety culture," he said.
Konecranes CXT cranes
CXT wire rope hoists are staple lifting devices used widely globally and throughout the Asia-Pacific in maintenance tasks, production lines, engineering industrial warehouses and factories. Their strength, compact size, speed, reliability and safety make them indispensable in assembly workshops where time and space equal money.
Key features that contribute to their success include:
- TRUCONNECT Remote Monitoring and Reporting service, which provides users with a clear view of their crane's usage through continuous data collection. For the customer, this means improved safety and higher efficiency because crane maintenance can be planned according to the crane's actual usage. Furthermore, it also provides information on lifecycle of crane components which helps customers plan budgets for maintenance or expansion ahead of time.
- Space efficiency - in industries where floor space utilisation is difficult but vital, the compact design of the CXT allows them to operate closer to the walls, lift loads high and ultimately save valuable space. This enables businesses to optimise their valuable floor space.
- Strength - depending on the model, CXT can lift up to 80 metric tons. The new rope reeving system also extends the lifetime of the ropes by as much as 40% - having a significant impact on maintenance costs.
- Safety - in an industrial setting, operators must be able to rely on the safe performance of the crane. Konecranes design, manufacture, and assemble all of the key components to ensure a quality wire rope hoist crane. High quality components and precise manufacturing based on years of experience enable enhanced durability of the hoist.
Konecranes' product development has invested in speeding up and extending hoist operation cycles, and in crane safety and durability. Features that have resulted from this research and development include:
- Speed - the latest CXT wire rope hoists are available with adaptive speed ranges which improve productivity and save energy consumption.
- Adaptive Speed Range (ASR) - a stepless hoisting movement control method. It allows very slow speeds which are important in moment of load lift-off and lowering. It also has the ability to lift up to 50% faster than traditional hoisting control. ASR is typically used in light to medium lifting.
- Extended Speed Range (ESR) - this is an extension of the ASR that allows even slower speeds. ESR is typically used in heavy to very heavy lifting.
- Positioning and area control - this feature is designed to assist the operator in positioning the load more efficiently and accurately. This allows the crane's working area to be adapted to the varying physical layout of individual facilities and production lines.