Contracts & Tenders, Industry News, Latest News, Projects, Queensland

Queensland Govt finalises Cross River Rail contract

Minister for Cross River Rail

The Queensland Government has signed a deal with a major construction contractor to deliver the tunnel, stations and development package for its $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project in Brisbane.

CIMIC subsidiaries Pacific Partnerships, CPB Contractors and UGL will all be employed as part of a consortium (the Pulse consortium) on the public-private partnership (PPP). The works are expected to cost around $2.73 billion and will begin construction later in 2019.

The consortium will perform tunnelling works, build new underground stations and provide ongoing maintenance for the major South East Queensland infrastructure project.

CIMIC Group Chief Executive Officer Michael Wright said CPB Contractors would deliver design and construction in a joint venture with Italy-based tunnelling company Ghella, BAM International and UGL, with UGL providing project maintenance services over 24 years.

“CIMIC Group’s integrated approach to PPP projects is based on our end-to-end capabilities across a project’s life cycle,” Wright said.

Related stories:

“As Australia’s premier rail infrastructure and services provider, we will finance, design, construct and maintain the new tunnels and rail stations to deliver world class rail assets and services for south east Queensland.”

Pacific Partnerships will provide 49 per cent of the equity for the package as lead sponsor, with Ghella, BAM and UGL to provide the remaining 51 per cent.

“As Australia’s leading provider of mechanical and electrical works and rail maintenance services, we’re committed to working with the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority as a long-term partner and providing ongoing employment and business opportunities for the local community,” said UGL Managing Director Jason Spears.

CPB and UGL were also chosen by the Queensland Government to deliver the Cross River Rail project’s rail, integration and systems package in April 2019.

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend