An engineering services company has been selected by Albemarle Lithium to construct the largest lithium hydroxide plant in Western Australia.
The Albemarle Kemerton Plant will be built by Civmec at the Kemerton strategic industrial area near Bunbury.
It will initially consist of three production trains for a capacity of 60,000 tonnes of lithium hydroxide a year (20,000 tonnes for each train), with the capacity to add two more trains to expand to 100,000 tonnes a year by 2025.
Construction of the $1.3 billion plant will require around 300 staff and is expected to take place from mid-2019 to March 2021.
- Earthworks commence on $1B lithium processing plant
- WA Government works to rebuild training sector
- WA Govt invests $10M to boost local building jobs
Earthworks commenced at the start of 2019 at the project’s 89-hectare site. The project will provide downstream processing services for spodumene concentrate from Talison Lithium’s Greenbushes mine, in which Albemarle holds a 49 per cent interest (the other 51 per cent belongs to Chinese company Tianqi Lithium).
United States-based Albemarle had originally planned for production to begin slightly earlier (sometime in 2020) with a 25-year operating life.
“This two-year project is ideally suited to our operations, fabricating, modularising and site erecting steel work for the key Western Australian development,” said Civmec chief executive officer, Patrick Tallon.
“This project reflects the growing confidence in the WA resource industry, highlighting a bright future for the coming years.”